“If it’s not hard, it’s soft.” – Ice Cube.It is soooo easy to get comfortable. On the couch…and with your job, your company, your marriage, your health, etc.
We all seek comfort and security. It feels so safe. Like being cradled.
But… it is a trap! It’s how you grow old and irrelevant…at any age. It will deaden your motivation, engagement and drive. It will eliminate the dreams of your youth. You will become a zombie…in your comfortableness. Breathing all right; but not alive.
When we are too comfortable for too long we are guaranteed to get run over by people or companies not interested in being comfortable!
Yes… I hear you say…but I put so much effort to get this point why would I put that at risk?
My answer is so you live a full life. To the end. So you have no regrets or remorse about playing all in. So you set an example.
We all have our comfort zones. My question is what will you dare to do to get out of your comfort zone??
- Will you dare to have a great career?
- Will you dare to try a new project?
- Will you dare to have a great marriage?
- Will you dare to do a great job of saving and investing money?
- Will you dare to do a great job of managing your health?
A great filtering question to ask: Is this thought or action based out of a desire to avoid pain and discomfort? Or, is it based out of a desire for continuous growth?
While jumping out of planes is one way to do things, you don’t have to leap out of the comfort zone. Just take one step at a time. That builds muscle and confidence.
And don’t worry. You don’t have to go off into orbit. You’ll know if you’ve gone too far. But you will never know where that boundary is until you meet it!
Here’s 10 ideas for your daring to step out of your comfort zone:
- Go to lunch with somebody very different from you.
- Say “no” to doing something. Eliminate, automate or delegate it.
- Wear something funky, fun, bright, unique. Give them something to talk about.
- Go to the library for three hours of uninterrupted time, where there are no distractions and flush that idea out.
- Find a group that likes to do fun an different things.
- Stop saying you are busy. Doing what? Filling up space?
- Show one person per day you care about them for 30 straight days.
- Send 5 handwritten notes.
- Read or watch something different. Remember, profound thoughts, those aha’s, come from outside your comfort zone.
- Make your own list of 10 things you will do over the next 10 days to get out of your comfort zone.
Please let me know what you’ve dared do to push your boundaries!
PS if you are in SoCal get thee or thy HR person to my Great HR workshop in June. More info here. That will get you outside your comfort zone!